Boundaries

My sister is teaching the Boundaries course at Vancouver Island University. I probably should take it! Growing up, I wasn't taught how to set boundaries and I always got what I wanted if I begged hard enough.

Although I wasn't taught boundaries, I still had some. Surprizing to me, though, was how the boundaries that I set and said weren't respected. Again, showing my "life should be like disney land" mentality.

I think people should set boundaries and maintain them. That being said, the first step is actually doing it. I am still amazed that our whole lives we will have to continue to be prepared to set boundaries.

Secondly, maintaining them. Letting your yes be yes and your no, no. I guess what bothers me is when a no is not repected. No matter how timid someone says no, it's NO!

When I was little and it was mealtime and I was finished, I was always offered more food, I would say no if I was done, but it was insisted. I was tired of the lectures and insisting so I would just give in. Not a great set up for me as an adult.

God has blessed me hugely with Kevin. I just don't understand how someone who doesn't know boundaries and doesn't have God or a strong influence to help them out lives in this pressure society.

So my plan over the next while? Set boundaries and pray for strength to maintain them.

Also remembering that HALT has a profound affect on our ability to think and maintain boundaries. Being Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

I'm off to take a nap and spend time in the Word.

Alanne.

Comments

Popular Posts